If your garden is like mine, it is filled with rhubarb right now. And I’m loving it!!
Rhubarb has a strong, tart flavor that can be sweetened with sugar to make wonderful desserts. Or it can also be paired with other fruits for sweetening, most often strawberries and apples. I love to make
these bars because you get the full flavor of the rhubarb. The crust is like a shortbread, that is crunchy and sweet. The topping mixes with the crust while baking making it crunchy on the bottom, soft in the middle, and creamy on top. You will fall in love with sweet yet tart nature of this bar!
2 C Flour
3/4 C Powdered Sugar
1 C Butter
2 C Sugar
1/2 C Flour
1/2 tsp Salt
5 C Rhubarb (cut up)
1. In a 15 x 10 pan mix 2 C Flour and Powdered Sugar, then cut in butter. Pat down flat into the pan.
2. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
3. Mix Eggs, Sugar, 1/2 C Flour, Salt, and Rhubarb.
4. Pour mixture over crust.
5. Bake at 350 Degrees for 40-45 mixture.
6. Let it cool, it will thicken as it stands.
You can enjoy the bars by themselves, or you add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to add an extra special touch.
What is your favorite thing to make with rhubarb?
Click on the recipe for a printable view.