One thing I love about freezer meals is that they are ready anytime. Obviously, the meals need to be cooked but the prep is all ready done. Freezer meals not only have helped me on crazy, busy days, but also come in handy when a friend has a baby, is recovering from surgery, or if there is last minute company.
I found a recipe for Ginger Cookies that can easily be frozen. They are ready to be baked anytime. They also smell heavenly while you are baking them. Seriously… when I baked the 3 cookies for the photo, my whole house smelled like Christmas!
This year in addition to baking Christmas cookies, I will be making unbaked cookies to be frozen. Frozen Ginger Cookies are going to be one of them! 😉 Then anytime guests stop over, I can serve freshly baked cookies in minutes. (Also, having the Christmas cookies in the freezer helps my children and me not eat them all day long!)
Freezer Ginger Cookies
1 1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup molasses
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons salt
- Cream together shortening, sugar and egg. Add vanilla and molasses. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix all remaining ingredients. Stir until mixed well.
- Add dry ingredients to the shortening mixture.
- Roll into 1-inch balls and cover with sugar.
- Flash freeze dough by placing on a cookie sheet and freeze for 10 minutes.
- Label freezer bags with recipe name and baking instructions. (Bake 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.)
- Divide balls into batches of 12 per freezer bag.
Do you have a holiday cookie recipe that could be frozen? Please share in the comments below.